[tn-bird] Gibson Co., TN birds

  • From: "Mark Allen Greene" <magreene@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:51:12 -0600

Saturday, Feb. 2, 2002
Trenton area, Gibson Co., TN

With only a few hours to bird on Saturday I took the opportunity to bird
some local spots around my home county which I don't hit very often because
I'm usually headed for the more traditional "hotspots" like Reelfoot, Pace
Point, etc. which are about 1 - 1 1/2 hours away.  I started out at the
fairly new Gibson County Lake which is now full of water.  I immediately saw
a large raft of ducks way out and began scoping.  The following were found:

Ring-necked Duck - 300+
Lesser Scaup - 100+
Canvasback - 27
Redhead - 2
Ruddy Duck - 4
Hooded Merganser - 4
Gadwall - 3
Mallard - 16
Common Merganser - 1
Greater Scaup - 2
Pied-billed Grebe - 2

From here it was only a short drive to Lake Hayes.  There wasn't much on
this lake but I did see a Mute Swan which was probably not a wild bird but
pretty neat nonetheless.

I then birded some out towards my way, west of Trenton.  I had a couple of
nice Eastern Red-tailed Hawks and then had an immature Krider's sitting
right beside the road.  In the field behing my grandparent's house I spotted
a Turkey Vulture and another soaring raptor which upon closer inspection
turned out to be an adult Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk.  This was a beautiful
bird which  soared right over my head for about 4 or 5 minutes and then
cruised to the north out of sight.  Just about a mile west of my house I
spotted a flock of blackbirds in a field and within two minutes I found two
males and one female Brewer's Blackbirds mixed in with Red-winged Blackbirds
and starlings.  A few miles further down the road I spotted a small flock of
meadowlarks fly across the road in front of me and immediately I thought
that one of them looked good for a Western so I pulled over and got in the
scope looks at 4 Western Meadowlarks within 20 feet of the truck and had one
of the birds "chup" at me as he flew away as an added bonus.  This is only
the 2nd time that I've ever had Western Meadowlarks in Gibson County.

I failed on my attempts to find Lapland Longspurs and LeConte's Sparrows but
it was a good day with some suprising birds and all within 10 miles of home!

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN