[TN-Bird] Game bird trades

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:33:38 -0500

Following Bob Hatcher's suggestion and report of the chipmunk for Mississippi
Kite trade and suggestions about quail trades, I will add two examples of game
trades the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources made.  I lived in
Wisconsin until moving to Johnson City, TN in September, 2007.
Within the last three years, Wisconsin obtained some Prairie Chickens from
Minnesota.  These were released in the Buena Vista area of central Wisconsin
with the hope of diversifying the Prairie Chicken gene pool of the birds
already in that area.  I'm not sure if this involved a trade, purchase or
donation.

Quite a few years ago, the Wisconsin DNR traded Ruffed Grouse with the Missouri
DNR for Wild Turkeys.  This trade was very successful for Wisconsin--Wild
Turkeys have expanded from the counties where they were originally released to
most counties in the state, including many areas that were not expected to be
suitable turkey habitat.  I have heard that the Ruffed Grouse released in
Missouri did not do as well, but don't know specifics.

Roy Knispel
Washington County, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES