[TN-Bird] GSMNP - Chimney Tops

  • From: <sparverius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 19:18:27 +0000 (UTC)

Amber and I decided to bookend our stay-cation with another hike in the Smokies
on Saturday (11 June).  This time we did the Chimney Tops trail.

Usual species for the area but since there seems to be few reports for this
area, doesn't hurt to mention them.  All are from the Chimney Tops trail unless
noted otherwise.  Numbers were less than on last weeks hike on LeConte due to
shorter trail but densities were similar to what we had at similar elevations
on LeConte.

Canada Goose, 2 adults with at least 1 young near The Sinks on Little River Road

Chimney Swift, 4+, always good to see here where there are no chimneys for
nesting, just dead trees

Eastern Phoebe, appeared to be nesting as usual under foot bridges near
trailhead

Blue-headed Vireo, 3+

Black-capped Chickadee, 2-3 birds heard giving both the 'feee beee' song and
slow chickadee-dee-dee calls. Not seen.  This was around 4500ft which seems
REALLY low to me.  I had great up close looks at the birds we had on LeConte
last week at 4700ft and noted the key visual field marks (white-edged secondary
coverts, ragged bib).

Red-breasted Nuthatch, 2 above 4500 ft

Winter Wren, 1 singing above 4500 ft

Golden-crowned Kinglet, 2-3

Veery, 3-4 spaced along the trail including one at the trailhead at ~3400 ft

N Parula, 1-2 at about 4000 ft

Chestnut-sided, 1-2

Black-throated Blue, 15+, never out of earshot

Black-throated Green, 2-3 above 4000ft

Canada, 2-3

Dark-eyed Junco, ~5

Dean Edwards