[TN-Bird] [Fwd: Re: Plover pronunciation]

  • From: Raincrow <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TNbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:19:21 -0400

Hooray for common and local names, to heck with lingual globalization
and standardization! If we're confused by someone's reference to a
common name or engaged in a discussion in which the finer divisions of
taxonomy are paramount, then it's time to haul out Linnaeus and his dead
language. Until then, I vote for "Robin" (American as opposed to what,
here in East Tennessee?), "Cardinal" (Northern as opposed to what, here
in East Tennessee?), "Bullbat," "Raincrow," "Butcher bird," "Fish hawk,"
and "Bluebird." I still miss my Sparrow Hawks (for that matter, I miss
my American Kestrels, too).

Liz Singley
Kingston Tn
Homo sapiens philistinii