[TN-Bird] Fw: Reelfoot Lake Area

  • From: "Ken Leggett" <kcleggett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 22:08:28 -0500

Rain was heavy over the area last week.  In a five day period we had over 8
inches at Ridgley and about the same at Dyersburg. This heavy rain had made
many of the shorebird locations full of water with few birds present.  Island
13 is mostly underwater.  The water at White Lake is not too high opposite the
observation tower but it is difficult to see the shorebirds there.  The main
shorebird area is dry and covered with grass.  Bogota is still very high along
with Highway 103 and Great River Road.  The main pool on Highway 79W about a
mile from the levee on the left is full into the beans.

The real good location at Great River Road and Highway 79 that belongs to Kent
Patterson is full of water and he told me today that the pump for that field
has quit working.  (This is the location where 600+ birds were seen a few weeks
ago.)  This site should be good  during the next two weeks or so.  Kent does
not mind birders going down there but do not drive off the road into the bean
field.

The only good mud flat was on Great River Road near the Obion River Bridge.
Yesterday, Betty and I had a Wilson's Phalarope there along with 62 Sanderling
and 2 Stilt Sandpipers.  Today, Nancy Moore and I had  the Sanderlings there
along with 1 Semipalmated Plover.

The Mississippi River has risen roughly 15 ft. during the last week or so.  (At
New Madrid from about 4.0 ft to 19.0.)  It will be a week or so  before the
river gets back to the previous level.

I have to go to annual flight training in Orlando for a few days to fly the
simulator and satisfy the insurance companies.  I will be back late Saturday
and maybe the birding will be improving.

Ken Leggett
Dyersburg, TN 38024