[TN-Bird] Fish Crow comments

  • From: tnbarredowl@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:37:28 -0400

I just thought I would pass along some information to the Knoxville folks
concerning Fish Crows in the area.  During the 2003 Savannah, TN CBC, Dwight
Cooley and party found 2 Fish Crows below Pickwick Dam (Hardin Co., TN).  They
were still present in late January, 2004, but I know of no one who checked for
them later in the year.  During the 2004 count, he had 4 Fish Crows, and I kept
track of the "population" this spring/summer.  As of early June 2005, there
were at least 9 Fish Crows in the area, including what appeared to be paired
birds.  I saw no definite evidence of nesting.  During the spring of 2005, Greg
Jackson found Fish Crows along Elk River near Rogersville (Lauderdale Co., AL).
 I was working in that area in late May, and found 2, apparently paired Fish
Crows at the same location.  During a Big Day in early May 2005, Steve
McConnell, Jeff Garner and I had a pair of Fish Crows building a nest at the
mouth of Town Creek, just below Wheeler Dam (Lawrence Co., AL),
  the first confirmed nesting of the species in this area.  Two weeks ago, I
had two Fish Crows along the Tennessee River near Athens (Limestone Co., AL).
It appears that this species has definitely found the Tennessee River, and more
and more of them are using it.  Have they made it to Knoxville?  Why not?
Birders from Guntersville to Knoxville (and Savannah to Paris) need to keep an
eye (ear) open at all times.  Fish Crows could be more widespread along the
river than we think.

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL