[TN-Bird] Ferruginous Hawk - Little Gull - Reelfoot area

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 21:57:07 EST

Nov. 21, 2010
Reelfoot Lake
Bessie Bend
Lake Co. TN

The fog lifted at Reelfoot Lake around 9 AM and revealed most of the  birds
were in the southeast corner using the tree line as a wind  shield.
Bonaparte's Gulls were dancing close to shore and over a period of an  hour and
half I got good looks at a Little Gull in 2nd year plumaged. The  lighter
flight pattern due to shorter, round tipped wings calls attention to  this bird
in the whirling Bonaparte's. The birds would feed and then sit on a  stump
so there was a constant turn over. Lots of White Pelicans, with  most having
moved to the eastern section just as the concentration of  ducks.

At Samburg, 21 Bald Eagles were in view at one time but NO ducks. On the
Mississippi River, 9 Herring, 4 Ring-bills and 3 Bonaparte's with 31 White
Pelicans and 4 Bald Eagles.

In the spoil field, west of the dredge fields at Jolly's Landing, there was
 quite a collection of raptors, 2 adult Bald Eagles, 6 Red-tails including
2  immature, 1 a Krider's want to be, 1 dark morph, 2 adults, 5 Harrier's
and an  immature, light morph FERRUGINOUS HAWK. The bird kited over the far
side of the  field but was easily lost against the gray clouds as it moved
higher than  the other birds. I moved around the area and would lose the bird
for 45 minutes  and then it would reappear. The last time I saw the bird it
came from the east,  skirted the spoil levee, flying at ground level and
disappeared going west. The  bird stayed too far away for my camera to get any
good flight shots. It was a  stunning bird, kiting with its long pointed
wings held in a steep dihedral,  light head and tail and flashing panels on the
primary bases.
Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the  heavens?

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES