[TN-Bird] Fens Way - Snowy Egret, Upland Sandpiper

  • From: "Daniel B. Estabrooks" <dbe2g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 01:30:23 +0000

Flooded field at Fens Way
Rutherford County
05/12/13

It's not every day you see an Upland Sandpiper in somebody's backyard. From the
north end of Fens Way (northeast of Murfreesboro), facing north, the bird was
in the grassy area to the left that has several houses backing up to it. It was
wandering around among the meadowlarks, poking in the grass.

And then a Snowy Egret flew in to make the day even more exciting. I'm
attaching a very poor record shot (with a Blue-winged Teal off to the side).

And finally, there was a very late female Redhead (not 100% positive on this
one - may have been a Ring-neck) preening on the far side of the flooded area.
I meant to get a picture, but she was gone when I was done looking at the egret.

Daniel Estabrooks