[TN-Bird] SE Tennessee Weekend Highlights

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 17:30:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, I birded near my home in Birchwood (Hamilton County) and in
Bradley County and Meigs County. I identified 46 species, which is the highest
one-day count I've ever had by myself. Highlights included an adult bald eagle
and at least one juvenile still on a nest in Rhea County that is visible from
the Cherokee Removal Memorial Park in Meigs County. I also heard a singing
bobwhite quail at the CRMP. At the Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge in Meigs County, I
saw an adult male orchard oriole and a first year male as well. At home I had a
female rose-breasted grosbeak on a suet feeder and a hairy woodpecker on a suet
log.

This afternoon, beginning about 3 PM, I saw a scarlet tanager male and three
females or young on the Mountain Beautiful Trail near the Craven's House on
Lookout Mountain (Hamilton County). Nearby, I saw a possible Nashville warbler,
but I couldn't get a long enough view to be sure. I also observed at least one
palm warbler and a yellow-rumped warbler in a tree at the Craven's House
parking lot. About 4:10 PM, I got a good look at a beautiful life bird male
black-throated blue warbler on the unnamed (or is it named ?) "bicycle trail"
near the big curve on Craven's Terrace. This trail is near the Craven's House.
I also had one or two black-and-white warblers at the same spot. Additionally,
I saw a warbler that I couldn't get a good enough look to identify at that same
location.

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN