[TN-Bird] Exciting new yard bird + mockingbird note

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:41:26 EDT

Hi TN-Birders,

While having lunch a few moments ago in my home in the Charlotte Park
section of West Nashville, Davidson County, I saw a flash of red in the
hackberry
tree right behind the deck.  I thought it was one of may many  cardinals, but
just at that moment, the bird perched on a limb in a bare spot in  the tree,
and I saw its BLACK wings!  A gorgeous male scarlet tanager  paused just long
enough to give me a good look before he went  back into the foliage where he
did
a little feeding,then disappeared  completely from sight.

That is a new yard bird for here, and I do wish he'd come down to sample  the
orange, grape jelly, yellow cake and sugar water which I am told that
tanagers like.

Also, a "new" mockingbird has arrived in the neighborhood and has been
eyeing the peanut butter while my regulars feed on it.  This bird has been  too
shy, so far, to come in close enough to partake.  It may very well be  one of
the
birds that was raised here and has returned to claim some home  ground, but
is no longer as "brave" as it was when it was brought to the peanut  butter by
its parents when it was young.  Given time, I am sure it will  adapt and
probably raise young which it may well bring to the PB feeder  later.

Haven't had much else in the migration department this spring except for a
flock of about 30 yellow-rumped warblers about a week ago.  It's been real
slow so far.

The one thing I DO have too many of is bumblebees.  It's actually hard  to
stay out of their way when I go out on the deck.  They really like the  oranges
and grape jelly, too.  Red wasps are also plentiful where they pile  up on top
of the grape jelly as well.

Happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN