[TN-Bird] Eurasian Collared-Doves, Great Egret

  • From: Jerry Ingles <jeingles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:22:54 -0600

A year or so ago I erroneously reported a pair of Eurasian Collared-Doves,
(they were Ringed Turtle-Doves), in Decherd, TN.  This time, they are real,
I promise you!

I saw at least eight birds there today, most of them in the two block area
between Broad and Market streets and 4th and 6th Avenues.  (Broad and
Market parallel highway 50,{Decherd's main street}, on the north).

Two of the birds engaged in apparent courtship.  While the presumed female
sat on a wire, the "male" flew in and approached her, bending forward,
lowering and bobbing "his" head while "fluffing up".  She held her wings
slightly away from her body after he did this for a bit.  The two then flew
together into a tree from which one of them (he?) shortly emerged.

I later observed a Great Egret in the false-start, never- completed,
catfish pond at the foot of Sewanee Mountain (its real name!), that is, on
highway 41A  just at the bottom of the descent from Sewanee toward Cowan.