[TN-Bird] Ensley and MS RV Rise

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:19:40 EDT

September 3-4, 2005
MS RV and Ensley
Shelby Co. TN

The river has reclaimed almost all of the sandbars with a 14 rise leaving
little in the way for transients. On Saturday, there were a few Least and
Black
Terns and Sunday 3 Caspian had been added. Two Osprey still patrol  the skies
with 4 Red-shouldered and 3 Broad-winged drifting south over an hours  watch.

I never thought I could get tied of looking through Wind Birds but I almost
reached my limit with Least Sandpipers. The pits were literally crawling with
them, they looked like ants. Slow scanning paid off with 1 White-rumped, 1
Baird's, 4 Western and a healthy number of Semipalmated. Also there were 2
Black-necked Stilts, 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 imm. Stilt Sandpipers, 4  Solitary
and 8 pectoral Sandpipers with a single Buff-breasted hiding in the Pig  Weed.

There was a movement of Mississippi Kites, Red-shouldered and Broad-winged
Hawks working down the tail of the Chickasaw Bluff and 3 immature Cooper's
Hawks were playing tag with the Mourning Doves. Two of these birds appeared to
be hunting together.

Back out to see if the rising river has forced any birds to the pits.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN