[tn-bird] Ensley Report

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 23:19:09 EDT

Aug. 24, 2002
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

The array of beautiful immature shorebirds will almost buckle your knees. We
found only one immature Wilson's Phalarope, 2 Black-bellied Plovers, still
mostly in breeding plumage and the stunning, fresh juvenal plumaged Willet.
We struck out on the Baird's and Sanderling. We could find no Buff-breasted
which should have been there. In the afternoon I ran into Q. B. Gray from
down in Mississippi and we sat for an hour running through the birds picking
and choosing which one was the best looking.

Totaled only 15 species of shorebirds today before I went south for my yearly
Wood Stork fix. After the Spoonbill and Stork extravaganza, I got run off the
levee by the worst storm I've been in for years around here. Highway 61
traffic was all pulled over as you could not see to drive. You know its bad
when the gamblers would not even drive to get to the tables. There were hot
wires down in the road when I finally eased through.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.