[TN-Bird] Ensley Report

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 01:14:19 -0400 (EDT)

Aug. 13, 2011
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

The best birds for the day were the 3 immature Wilson's  Phalarope that
spent the morning padding around on the mud but then at another  pool, in flew
two more, one immature female but much farther along in molt and a  molting
adult male, also a fresh plumaged juvenile Stilt Sandpiper, another  first
of season young.

I photographed all the young Black-bellied Whistling Ducks  today. The
Dirty Dozen have already learned to V - up but I'm afraid they got it
backwards. Nine adult Black-bellied Whistlers were all hanging out together and
 were
continually looking up and calling; they may be thinking about going south.

The shorebirds and even the doves on President's Island kept  looking
up........something was traveling today but too far up for my old  eyes.

Photos: _http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/137202523_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/image/137202523)

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What is this  feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.