[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend hatchery

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:36:13 -0400

TN-birders,

Dollyann and I made a soggy trip around noon out to the Eagle Bend fish
hatchery in Anderson County, to see if we could share in the shorebird
sightings by Bruce Dralle down in Chattanooga recently. No such luck (yet!),
but we did have a slightly higher species count than we have had in a while. We
tallied 29 species in 40 minutes, where our normal species range (outside of
the dead of winter) out here is about 25 or so.

Nothing earth shattering to speak of but a couple of highlights were:

2 Lesser Scaup and a Ruddy Duck (first of the winter for us) on the upper pond.

A Double-crested Cormorant – FOY (meaning the first time we have seen it so far
this year).

8 Tree Swallows – FOY, although we have seen them in the previous few days at
other locations. A bit late this tear, as we have 5 records from February for
previous years.

15 Northern Cardinals – our highest count ever for this location.

Spring’s a comin’!!

Great Birding.
Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN