[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend birds

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:07:08 -0500

At the Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in Clinton (Anderson County, Tennessee)
around 11:30 a.m. - 12:20 p.m, Monday, Dec. 27, on the lower pond on the
left as you drive in among the many Mallards and buffleheads were two
American Wigeons (female) and a male American Black Duck, also a coot and a
great blue heron.  As I drove up the hill to the upper pool I saw a
beautiful little kestrel flying over the pool and then briefly alighting on
the wire before taking flight again and relocating to a farther wire; with
the sun shining on the colorful little bird it was the highlight of my day.

The upper pool held dozens of coots, more bufflehead and perhaps 20 ring
neck ducks but no mallards.  There were, however, hundreds of ring billed
gulls which grudgingly moved aside to let my car pass and many Canada Geese.

There was one strange (at least to me) bird on the hill leading to the upper
pond.  It was basically white with a wide brown stripe running up the back
of its long neck.  It had a large knob at the base of its bill like a mute
swan but was about the size of the goose accompanying it (perhaps somewhat
bigger) which appeared to be a greater white fronted though I didn't look at
it closely, being more interested in its weird companion.  Could this have
been a juvenile mute swan or some kind of hybrid?

Carole Gobert
Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee