[TN-Bird] Dyer County shorebirds (Buff-breasted Sandpiper). Marion County Black Terns

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 11:09:04 -0400

I made the long drive to Dyer County and Great River Road on Saturday
August 2 to see the shorebirds Mark Greene had been reporting and was
not disappointed. The habitat was still great and there were several
hundred shorebirds spread of the fields and edge of a couple ponds. I
did not see the Black-bellied Plover, but after an hour searching I
found the Piping Plover, Wilsons Phalarope and Sanderlings that Mark had
reported the day before plus two BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPERS. There may
have been other species besides the 13 that I observed but many were
very for out and the heat convection was rough.

On August 3 I found at least 6 Black Terns above Nickajack Dam in Marion
county. They were perched a couple of piles of rocks helping mark the
channel.

Kevin Calhoon

Assistant Curator of Forests

Tennessee Aquarium