[TN-Bird] Re: Dyer County shorebirds (Buff-breasted Sandpiper). Marion County Black Terns

  • From: <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Harold Sharp" <sharp_h@xxxxxxxxx>, "Ray Zimmerman" <znaturalist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 12:51:54 -0500

August 5th

On the way back from Reelfoot Lake, I drove the Great River Road through Lake
and Dyer Counties, down to the Lauderdale County line. Virtually all the
shorebird habitat is gone. Tilling is in full swing. Even the killdeer were
scarce. Nearing the Obion River bridge, 500 plus Great Egrets were joined by a
couple of dozen Little Blue Herons and a dozen Snowy Egrets. 23 Least Terns,
one Black Tern and one Caspian Tern were present, along with a few cormorants
and three Pied-billed Grebes. That water is drying out fast. The only other
shorebirds were a handful of Pectoral and Least Sandpipers.

Cheers,

Dick Preston
Munford (Tipton Co.)