[TN-Bird] Duck River Unit Migrants

  • From: Ruben Stoll <birdchaserrws@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 13:39:52 -0500

10/17/2015, Duck River Unit, TNWR Humphreys County TN, Pump Station and
Pool 6.
I finally got to get out and bird a little this morning. (First time all
week!)
An hour at the Pump Station glassing the lake produced;
Common Loon (FOS, seen in migration high overhead. I would have missed this
bird if the Sun hadn't reflected off white underparts.)
Pied-billed Grebe 285
Mallard 600
N. Pintail 250
Gadwall 250
A. Wigeon 300
Green-winged Teal 4
N. Shoveler 15
Blue-winged Teal 150
Ring-necked Duck 85
Many more ducks were present, but only those seen flying were identified.
Am. Coot 2,200 (packed into 2 separate large groups about a mile out.)
4 gull sp.
Bonaparte's Gull 1
Franklin's Gull 1 (FOS, seen circling overhead in good lighting, then
continued on South.)
Ring-billed Gull 45
Herring Gull 1
Tree Swallow 1200
Barn Swallow 10
Pool 6, along Refuge RD. had the largest group of White Pelicans I've ever
seen on the refuge with 1,100 counted in sight at one time.
The large grassy fields in this area had lots of Swamp and Savannah
Sparrows, and a single Sedge Wren was flushed up, but nothing rare was
seen.
Good birding! Ruben Stoll, Centerville TN.