[TN-Bird] NTOS October Field Trip

  • From: Tarcila Fox <tarcila@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 14:02:29 -0500

This frosty morning one birder met with Richard and me at the Cumberland
Science Museum. We briefly talked about the 2 hour trip to Natchez Trace State
Park and the invitation to join Denise Weyer, Director of Shelby Bottoms Nature
Center, and bird on the Stones River Farm/Lytle Farm Metro Parks property. We
decided to go to the Stones River location.

Before Denise’s group met us at 9 a.m., we birded around the Stone Hall
property and around the Greenway to Stone’s River Greenway. Then when Denise’s
group arrived we drove to the Lytle farm and birded on the old farm property.
To get onto the property we had to get through a locked fence. When we left it
was locked again, so it is not open to the public at this time.

We started out frosty cold, with the temp around 39f. By noon it had warmed up
but was still only in the high 40s. Everyone had a great time. Best bird of the
day (my opinion) was the White-crowned Sparrow. Also fun to watch, were a
couple of male Kestrels doing aerial acrobatics and then a female appeared
nearby. A couple of Coopers Hawks were circling the thermals, with small birds
around them. I couldn’t decide if the Coopers were chasing the small birds for
a meal, or if the small birds were mobbing the Coopers.

Thanks to Aaron T. for sharing his Birds-Eye list with me for this report!

Here are the lists:

At the grounds of Stone Hall and the Stones River Greenway. (Davidson County,
Nashville TN)
1 Killdeer
5 Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
8 Mourning Dove
1 Belted Kingfisher
1 Downy Woodpecker
1 Northern Flicker
3 Blue Jay
3 Carolina Chickadee
1 Tufted Titmouse
1 Carolina Wren
1 Golden-crowned Kinglet
75 American Robin
1 Brown Thrasher
3 Northern Mockingbird
12 European Starling
1 Tennessee Warbler
1 Pine Warbler
3 Yellow-rumped Warbler
6 White-throated Sparrow
15 Northern Cardinal
1 House Finch

1 Great Blue Heron

At the Stones River Farm/Lytle Farm Metro Parks property (Davidson County,
Nashville TN)

1 Wild Turkey
9 Black Vulture
1 Turkey Vulture
2 Cooper's Hawk
1 Red-tailed Hawk
13 Mourning Dove
1 Belted Kingfisher
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker
3 American Kestrel
1 Eastern Phoebe
6 Blue Jay
3 American Crow
2 Carolina Chickadee
1 Brown Thrasher
3 Northern Mockingbird
1 European Starling
3 Palm Warbler
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
1 White-crowned Sparrow
7 White-throated Sparrow
2 Song Sparrow
2 Northern Cardinal
1 Eastern Meadowlark
3 House Finch

Thanks for letting me be the NTOS field trip coordinator!
Tarcila
tarcila@xxxxxxxxxxxxx