[tn-bird] Re: Dogwood-berry-bonanza

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:48:32 -0700 (PDT)

HI Anna,

Do you know what Hearts-a-bustin looks like?  It's blooming right now
out our way.  Seems a bit smaller and maybe not quite as spiky as
what you describe, but I don't know how variable it is.

Charlie

--- Anna Varney <arvarney@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Migration is definitely not over!
>
> Took the Suzie the Dog for a walk down an old logging road near my
> house yesterday.  All was quiet-I was a little surprised.  On
> overcast days I seem to have good luck.  Then, we rounded a corner
> and there they all were!  Black-throated Green, BLACKBURNIAN and
> maybe a Nashville Warbler.  The look at the Nashville was way too
> brief-can't count it.  Along with these the regulars were feasting
> also-Titmouse, chickadee-dee-dee, Carolina Wren.  I tried to stay
> as still as possible, but Suzie is of a different nature so its
> impossible for her to stay still.  The birds all spooked.  I
> thought that if we hung around for a while they would return.  No
> luck.  Its been a while since I ventured down this road and had
> forgotten all the wonderful dogwoods in the spring.  These woods
> are full of them.  Taking a look around yesterday I saw that there
> was plenty of opportunity for the birds to feast without being
> stared at (~:
>
> On the way back out of these woods we caught a glimpse of a Wild
> Turkey.  Their tracks were everywhere.  We waited and two came out
> of the woods and started crossing the road.  Good thing Suzie was
> on a leash or I think she would have chased them down.  They heard
> us and quickly retreated )~;
>
> Regarding the Blackburnian-had two in the yard on Tuesday.  Last
> year's yard sighting for this bird was October 14.
>
> Need help with a shrub ID.  I've seen this shrub thing twice, once
> yesterday and I have one on property in Perry County.  Dry upland.
> Both are about 4 feet tall, not bushy, the most distinctive feature
> being the fruit.  It appears as a pinkish ball, smaller than a
> golfball, looks like spines on the outside,  reminds me of a
> chestnut.  The outer skin splits open to reveal red "fruit" about
> 1/2" long, oval shaped.  I can't find it in the wildflower or tree
> field guides that I have.  Thanks.
>
> Anna Varney
> Summertown, TN

>      Visit the Tennessee Ornithological Society
>           web site at http://www.tnbirds.org
>     TN-Bird Net Owner: Wallace Coffey, Bristol, TN
>         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx      (423) 764-3958

=====
Charlie Muise, Senior Naturalist
Great Smoky Mountains Institute at Tremont
Townsend, TN  lat 35 deg, 38'23"  long 83 deg, 41'22"

"Do something. If it works, do it again. If it does not work, do something
else. But above all else: Do Something." (Franklin Delano Roosevelt)