[tn-bird] Deadline nears for BBC annual banquet

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:56:11 -0300

If you have not yet reserved your special seat
 for the Bristol Bird Club's Annual Banquet with the famed
Jeff Wilson as speaker,  you are dangerously flirting with
disappointment.  The deadline is this Sunday, Sept. 1.

If you are taking all of this with a grain of salt, then that tells
birders throughout the region that you haven't been paying
attention when the Ol' Coot writes.

Perhaps no other birder in the South is so widely recognized
and appreciated for his eloquent and descriptive writings
about bird migration and identification.  From his vantage point on mudflats
along the great Mississippi Flyway in West Tennessee,  the
Ol' Coot, as Jeff is affectionately known, posts to TN-Birds
and other lists in the Mid-South about the countless, massive
flock of shorebirds he spend ever weekend watching.

On Friday, Sept, 13, 2002, Jeff Wilson will be the featured
after-dinner speaker for the Bristol Bird Club at our annual
banquet at 7 p.m. at the Greenway Haven, Abingdon, VA.

The event is open to the public.  Everyone is invited but
you must make advanced reservation by this weekend.
You do not have to be a member of BBC but we would
love it if you wish to join us.

Jeff will bring his wonderful insight of birds, migration and
identification along with his humor, speaking skills and trays
of gorgeous color slides for our enjoyment.

For more than a decade, Bristol birders gathered every
fall in the beautiful and stately old dinning rooms of the Greenway
Haven on a hilltop in Abingdon.  Here they enjoyed some of
the finest speakers any bird club could ever hope to hear.

And this year we return for the first time in decades to the
same wonderful place where the BBC has had some of its
finest moments and most delicious food in all of its 52 years
of bird club history.  Dress is casual so you will be comfortable.
No ties, not suits, nothing fancy.  Gals in dresses, skirts/slacks.

You must be a part of this wonderful, relaxedl, informative and
educational evening.  We are expecting birders from  as far
away as Chattanooga and Knoxville to be here for this very
special and delightful evening.  You will fill like your birding
has advanced by miles after learning from the master.

Without a doubt,  Jeff Wilson from Memphis, is coming to
bring us another program that will live in our memories for
the rest of our birding years.

The Ol' Coot has been featured at state ornithological
annual meeting dinners at several states in the deep south.
This is our one great opportunity to have him come and share
with us.  Our knowing birders will not miss this special opportunity.

You should not miss it either.  This is worth canceling whatever
else you have appointed in order to make sure you are there.

For most of the past 10 years the Ol' Coot has dazzled birders
throughout the South and East with his postings to Valley Birds
Net and later to TN-Birds.

We first met and began to admire the Ol' Coot when he wrote
and then when he came to Northeast Tennessee and Southwest
Virginia to take part in the 50th Anniversary of BBC at the annual
state meeting of the Tennessee Ornithological Society which we
celebrated in May 2000.

He "dropped in" on us quite by surprise at the BBC's Annual
Christmas Party at Ron & Joan Harrington's last December.

Now he returns as our honored and invited guest.  But it is our
honor to have him with us on this Friday, 13th at the prestigious
Greenway Haven from a high and windy hilltop in historic Abingdon,
VA.  You must be there.

You must send your reservations by Sunday, Sept. 1.

President Dave Worley will follow with an e-mail full of reservation
details.

Come join us and the Ol'  Coot.

Wallace Coffey
BBC