[TN-Bird] Dale Hollow pelagic.

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <dollyron@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:46:24 -0500

Tn-birders,
Frank Bills, Sharon Bostick, Dollyann Myers, and myself went back to Dale
Hollow Lake today to try to get a better look at the Aechmophorus grebe that
Frank found yesterday. We rented a pontoon boat from Eagle Cove Resorts and
looked for 3 hours this morning, despite the cold temps. and windy conditions.
We were able to re-locate the bird 3 times, but each time it gave us the slip
by swimming away underwater and the flying off before we could see it in
flight. Frank briefly caught sight of it once as it flew away and he felt that
there wasn't an extensive amount of white in the upper wing (which would tend
towards Clark's Grebe). We were able to ease up to about 150 yards one time and
I tried to scope it, but the movement of the boat in the wind didn't allow me a
great view. It seemed to me that the whole upper head was black and I thought
the bill, while pale-ish, was not bright yellow/orange. Both of these facts
point towards this bird being a Western Grebe.
Our conclusion is that this is probably a Western Grebe, but we're not prepared
to say for sure. It will have to stay an Aechmophorus sp., unless someone else
can get a better look at it. It seems to prefer the very NE corner of Clay Co.
at the Kentucky state line. The area is bordered on the north by Trooper and
Tennessee Islands and on the east by the NE part of Clay County. This is on
page 66 of the Delorme Gazeteer.

It was still an interesting way to spend the day.

Great birding,
Ron Hoff
Clinton, Tn.