[TN-Bird] Cranes hunt decision Jan 20 and 21, Nashville

  • From: Melinda Welton <weltonmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tnbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:19:44 -0600

Dear all
This morning Chris Sloan and I met with Ed Carter to discuss concerns that
we have over the crane proposal and how it might negatively impact TWRA.

It was a very friendly meeting and Ed was very open and candid with us about
the fact that some Commissioners were dead set in favor of a hunt, some were
opposed, but most were carefully considering all aspects.

We learned that the Commissioners will meet in the afternoon of Thursday,
and all day Friday January 20th and 21st in Nashville. On Thursday the
Wildlife Committee will meet and listen to public comments, they will vote
among themselves on a recommendation, present their recommendation to the
Commision on Friday, and then the full Commission will vote. See below for
the information that Ed Carter sent us.

It will be important for as many people as possible to be present both days.

Chris and I will both likely speak before the committee, one of us will be
representing TOS. Individuals and groups are invited to speak, but it is
best to notify the Commission ahead of time (I would recommend sending an
email to Mike Chase, the TWRC Chairman <mike.chase@xxxxxx>).

Members of the Wildlife Management Committee:
Mike Hayes, Chairperson
Jeff McMillin, Vice-Chairperson
William Brown
Ken Givens
Todd Shelton
Eric Wright
Johnny Coleman

Remember the written public comment period ends January 19th, but the sooner
comments are submitted, the better.
Put "Sandhill Crane Proposal" in the subject line, and send comments to:
twra.comment@xxxxxx

For added impact, send a copy of your comments to:
1. The TWRA Commissioner for your district
2. The chair of the Wildlife Committee, Mike Hayes <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
3. All of the Commissioners <www.state.tn.us/twra/comnames.html>

Additional information is posted on the TOS website.
www.tnbirds.org/ConsPolCom/Proposed Crane Hunt.html

Melinda Welton
TOS Conservation Policy Committee