[TN-Bird] Re: Cooper's Hawks Attacking Cats ?

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:30:14 EST

I have not personally seen this happen, but an acquaintance who owns a farm
in East Tennessee once told me about an incident with his cat.  He said a
"chicken hawk" or "blue darter" flew down and  caught one of their feisty
farm cats which it managed to get almost ten feet above the ground.  At that
point the cat managed to squirm around into a position from which it could
claw the fire out of the bird.  Apparently, the cat was too much for the hawk
to handle, so it dropped the cat which predictably landed on its feet and ran
off to the barn to lick its wounds.  He said he had never seen that happen
before and never saw it again.  I think that many farmers refer to the
Cooper's hawk as a chicken hawk and/or blue darter.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN