[TN-Bird] Cooper's Hawk, Winter Wren

  • From: "David & Gloria Patterson" <dgpatterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "sefc" <SEFC-Birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:02:35 -0800

A  COOPER'S HAWK  flew through a picture window at the Halterman home on Moore
Road, Collegedale, a few weeks ago.  It seemed unable to find its way out.
Janet Halterman called the local police, who came, took one look at the hawk,
and went back for more help and thicker gloves.  They removed another window,
through which the hawk left, apparently unharmed.
(David James, who formerly lived in that house, moved to Pennsylvania, where a
deer entered thru his picture window, ran around the house for a while, and
left the same way.)

At Standifer Gap Marsh, December 12, I was calling, unsuccessfully, for Marsh
Wrens, when I heard what sounded like Winter Wren chips.  I played a Winter
Wren song, and a Winter Wren came right up to me, within 2 feet, chipping
continuously for 5 minutes or more.  I have never had such good looks at a
Winter Wren.

David Patterson
Chattanooga, Hamilton County