[tn-bird] Confederate Park, Memphis

  • From: PYRPYRFECT@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 00:27:10 EDT

An unfortunate disagreement with a police officer about the speed of my
pickup caused me to have an appointment today in traffic court in downtown
Memphis.  Finding a parking place surprisingly quickly, I had a little time
before the wheels of justice began to turn.  I wandered over to Confederate
Park, on the bluff overlooking the Big River.  In addition to the usual house
sparrows, starlings, park pigeons crapping on the statue of Jeff Davis, bums,
derelicts and winos, in about a half hour I observed 2 robins, 2 blue jays, a
mockingbird, red-tailed hawk, song sparrow, orange-crowned warbler and first
of the season brown creeper.  I never cease to be astonished at the
persistence of nature, even in the concrete canyons of big cities.

Van Harris
Millington, TN