[TN-Bird] Concord Park White-winged Scoter

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 11:28:46 -0500

Yesterday afternoon after several tries, I finally located one of the male
White-winged Scoters birders have been reporting in the Jefferson Park
subdivision area in west Knox County.  I was at the small boat ramp across
Northshore Drive from the Cove at Concord Park from which you get a clear view
of the waters out from Jefferson Park to the west.  I watched the scoter for
quite a while; he was hanging out near a raft of Ring-billed Gulls and not
doing much diving.  While there I also noticed that Great Blue Herons have
again established a rookery in the trees on the west side of the boat ramp and
mostly facing north.  I counted 26 in the trees, a few at nests.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville