[TN-Bird] Re: Concord Park White-winged Scoter

  • From: Dan Ellsworth <ellsy10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 18:57:49 -0600

Hello,

I had three White-winged scoters this morning on Ft. Loudon Lake after many
unsuccessful visits.  I had no luck at Concord Park or the boat ramp area and
was ready to give up when I decided to check the Turkey Creek area.  This is
the area of the lake north of the railroad tracks and can be viewed when
driving down Turkey Creek road in Farragut.  There was a decent amount of boat
traffic from fisherman on the main lake and this area is quieter and I thought
I might try my luck.  Sure enough a quarter of a mile down the road I saw the
three White-winged Scoters about fifty yards from the shore.  I also found 33
Redheads with 11 mallards another quarter mile down the road along with dozens
of pied-billed grebes, two Horned Grebes, and hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls.  I
also had one Bald Eagle which looked to be second year maybe.  There are a
couple places you can pull over for viewing but be careful because there can be
a lot of traffic.

Dan Ellsworth
Farragut, TN

From: cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TN-Bird] Concord Park White-winged Scoter
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 11:28:46 -0500

Yesterday afternoon after several tries, I finally located one of the male
White-winged Scoters birders have been reporting in the Jefferson Park
subdivision area in west Knox County.  I was at the small boat ramp across
Northshore Drive from the Cove at Concord Park from which you get a clear view
of the waters out from Jefferson Park to the west.  I watched the scoter for
quite a while; he was hanging out near a raft of Ring-billed Gulls and not
doing much diving.  While there I also noticed that Great Blue Herons have
again established a rookery in the trees on the west side of the boat ramp and
mostly facing north.  I counted 26 in the trees, a few at nests.

Carole Gobert, Knoxville