[TN-Bird] Common Ground-Dove in Obion County

  • From: magreene@xxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:19:15 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

January 25, 2006
Obion County

Today while driving on Will Dickerson Road in Obion County I encountered a
Common Ground-Dove sitting in a small tree beside the road.  I threw on the
brakes and backed up and it flew to the ground.  After a couple of minutes in
flew back up to a bush and preened.  I watched it for a few minutes before a
car drove by and it flew back down into some thick brush.  This is the first
Common Ground-Dove that I've had in Tennessee although I have looked for
several that have been found by others.

Will Dickerson Road comes north off of Hwy. 216 (Rives-Mt. Pelia Rd.).  The
bird was found approximately 1/4 mile from the jct. with Hwy. 216 on the east
side of the road.

I also had a Lincoln's Sparrow near a small farm pond on Jody Jacobs Rd. in
Obion County.  I made a quick stop by Hop-In Refuge and saw no Sandhill Cranes
after having over 400 a couple of weeks ago.  I didn't stay long so there may
still be cranes coming into the refuge closer to dark.  Much of the refuge is
now flooded due to the Obion River being out in several places because of the
rainfall last weekend.  The refuge was full of ducks and there were lots of
pintails amongst the hordes of Mallards.

Good birding,

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County