[TN-Bird] Clay-colored Sparrow in Gibson County!

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:15:36 +0000 (UTC)

Gibson County LakeGibson County
This morning I made the trek around the lake in the pouring rain to see if any
new birds had arrived. Near the boat ramp on the east side of the lake, I
encountered a large feeding flock of passerines. In among the many Chipping
Sparrow and other species (Savannah, Field, Lincoln's - also E. Bluebirds,
Yellow-rumped Warblers, etc.) I noted an adult Clay-colored Sparrow!  The birds
were feeding on the ground in a brushy area. After several minutes the flock
came out into the shorter grass to feed. I noted a small, petite sparrow,
smaller than a Chipping Sparrow, with a tiny bill. Body was more slim than a
Chippy, seen in direct comparison, and the tail was relatively long. I first
noted the small size, overall buff color, and the gray collar. I watched the
bird at length while it was feeding. The flock would sometimes fly to cover and
then return after a few minutes. Upon further viewing I noted the white central
crown stripe, pale lores, and the thin, dark mustachial mark extending down
from the base of the bill. The Chippies were overall darker and more grayish in
color. Chippies also have a complete dark line through the eye all the way to
the bill, with less contrast compared to this bird's pale eyebrow and dark
mustachial stripe. I was unable to obtain a photo due to the steady, blowing
rains but I got extended, excellent views of the bird off and on for 15 minutes
or more.
Other species seen:
Wild Turkey  7
Common Loon  5 - up 1 from yesterday. No sign of the Horned Grebes from
yesterday but visibility was poor due to the heavy rain.
Double-crested Cormorant  1
American White Pelican - presumably same bird seen over the last week. I found
the bird dead on the south shoreline and retrieved it. There were no visible
injuries - fishhook possibly? When I saw the bird yesterday it kept stretching
its neck. Bird will be donated to U.T. Martin Biology Dept.
Great Blue Heron  8
Great Egret  6
Bald Eagle  2
Killdeer  7
Eurasian Collared-Dove  1
Mourning Dove  4
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  1
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  2
Eastern Bluebird  6
Northern Mockingbird  2
American Pipit  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler  12
Chipping Sparrow  11
Field Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  4
Lincoln's Sparrow  1
Eastern Meadowlark  7
American Goldfinch  3

I also had my FOS White-crowned Sparrows (3) singing this afternoon at my house
west of Trenton.
Good birding!
Mark GreeneTrenton, TNGibson County