[TN-Bird] Cheatham Co. - Olive-sided Flycatcher

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 00:06:56 +0000

This morning I found an Olive-sided Flycatcher perched on a dead snag on
Cheatham WMA, Cheatham Co.  The bird was on a dead tree just before turning off
the paved road and onto the gravel road that takes you to the headquarters (by
the main entrance signs).  I was actually looking on all the snags for an
olive-sided and got lucky!

First thing this morning I stopped on a small road that goes through a swamp at
the end of Marrowbone Lake (also Cheatham Co.) and am pretty sure I had a
Black-billed Cuckoo fly across the water.  I had a 3 sec look and saw no rufous
in the wings, the bird seemed brown overall, including the face, and the bird
was just not right for a yellow-billed (i.e., head/bill combo seemed small, the
uniform body color was wrong for a yellow-billed, and it just didn't fly like a
yellow-billed). I guess I've seen too many yellow-billed's fly away to notice
one that flies differently.  The one that got away!

I've been way behind on adding photos, but I have started a spring/summer 2013
gallery that starts at the link below with today's Olive-sided Flycatcher.  I
also have a photo of the Upland Sandpiper that Daniel Estabrooks found on the
sod farm in Eagleville (Rutherford Co.) a few weeks ago (the bird was standing
in the highway when I got my photo op!).
http://www.pbase.com/shoeman/image/150301567

Good birding!
Scott Somershoe

Mockingbird as the state bird, blah.