[TN-Bird] Bizarre chicken house finding

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 19:42:03 -0500

We who keep free-range chickens are accustomed to surprises in the hen house. But this one has me stumped. I have a small flock (currently 4 hens and one rooster) that roam freely during the day and are locked up at night. I was gone for a few days, so they were locked up full-time with feed and water.

When I returned, all chickens were healthy and accounted for. But I spotted the remains of some dead bird on the dirt floor of the caged- in enclosure. It had slate-gray feathers, and at first I thought Robin or Catbird. But on closer inspection, it proved to be a heavily mangled American Coot, with virtually all soft tissue eaten away!

So how the heck did this happen? Was the coot hiding in the cage already when I locked the chickens in? Did it somehow squeeze in through a gap? And why was it even in there? That the chickens apparently killed and ate it is no surprise at all; chickens can be voracious carnivores given the chance, and they love carrion (roadkill is a big hazard for free-range chickens -- they go feed on it, then become it).

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN
TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC

                      MAP RESOURCES