[TN-Bird] Chattanooga run

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 08:27:44 -0500

Dang, I liked Don Miller's format of getting to the data quickly. I'm
too wordy to be that precise, but I'm not above stealing a good idea.
Here goes:
Jan. 4-5, 2003
Foothills Parkway, Smokies(FP)
Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge (HWR)
Standiffer Marsh, Chattanooga (SM)
Brainerd Levee, Chattanooga (BL)
Nickajack Lake (NL)
Lakeshore pulloffs on Hwy. 58 north of Chattanooga, for Jos. Vann's Town
(JVT)
Much of this will be negative data, although I did 24 annual birds over
the weekend.
Much thanks to David and Gloria Patterson, for their regular posts on
Standiffer Marsh, a new birding area to me, and to David Trently, who
told me how to get there.
The Chattanooga area seems to be blessed with truckers bent on self
destruction. Last summer a Hazmat spill on I-75 found me making my way
home via country roads through Kingston. This time one ran the median
and dumped on its side in the other lane, ultimately making 20 miles of
I-24 into a parking lot the rest of the afternoon. I had just passed the
exit to I-59, last place to turn around, when everybody's brake lights
went on. Took two hours to get past, and then I had to later come back -
although that was just a big gaper's block by then of about 20 mintues.
Pied-billed Grebe (NL - comprise about 5% of the coot flocks)
Double-crested Cormorant (NL)
Canvasback (HWL - a single with three Ring-necks)
American Black Duck (HWL - another single)
Gadwall - everywhere, most numerous duck.
Hooded Merganser (HWL - nice males)
Northern Pintail (BL)
Northern Shoveler (BL)
Green-winged Teal (BL)
Cooper's Hawk (HWL)
Red-shouldered Hawk (BL- immature)
American Coot (NL - numerous as the sands on the beach)
Virginia Rail (SM - single call at dusk)
Sora (SM - abbreviated call at dusk)
Sandhill Crane (HWL - about 10,000, Whooper not seen, may have migrated
north or I was just unlucky)
Common Snipe (BL-6)
Bonaparte's Gull  (JVT - numberous)
Great Horned Owl (SM - pair hooting at dusk)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (NL)
Eastern Phoebe (HWL)
Sedge Wren (SM - thanks to David, wish I followed his advice about
bringing waders, but driving 4 hours in wet shoes and socks builds
strength & character)
Palm Warbler (BL - again, thanks to David)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (BL - found this one myself)
Dark-eyed Junco (FP)
Savannah Sparrow (SM)
Swamp Sparrow (SM)
Red-winged Blackbird (BL & SM - just a bit too late in the day for the
Rusty Blackbirds David and Gloria saw)
Brown-headed Cowbird (BL)
Red Crossbill (FP - 0, that flock of 150 reported by Charlie Muise -
nada. Crossbills are about as parapetetic as this birder)
Next weekend, weather permitting, I'm heading west. Saturday, Nashville
and Pace'sPoint-Paris Landing area, Saturday Reelfoot area, Sunday
morning - open to whatever's moving from Reelfoot to Memphis. Purpose,
ticking annual birds. Scientific value = 0. Mileage and fatigue factor =
immense. Anyone wanting to meet me in the field contact me off list.
James Brooks
Jonesborough, TN