[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #2

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 16:37:59 -0500

This is Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the Chattanooga
Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

This is Update Number #2 made on March 1, 2005.

 The phone portion of the RBA is still out of service. I am working on it.

An immature NORTHERN GOSHAWK was seen for a short time at the Brainerd Levee
on February 26 before it disappeared off to the north.  Also seen at the
levee were 1 female Ruddy Duck, 1 female Wood Duck, 5 Green-winged Teal, 401
Sandhill Cranes and a Dunlin. (Daniel Jacobson)

Migration has started with some interesting sightings.  A very early Barn
Swallow was seen along with a Tree Swallow at Chester Frost County Park
(Hamilton county)on February 13 and two Osprey were seen on channel marker
and on a nearby tree in the Tennessee River out from Harrison Bay State Park
on February 27. (Daniel Jacobson)

Fox Sparrows are on the move with a report from Hixson of 9 under a feeder.
(Linda Cobble).  I have had three under my feeder near Cravens House on
Lookout Mountain since February 27. (Kevin Calhoon)

Other interesting feeder birds include daily Red-breasted Nuthatches and
Pine Siskins at David Patterson's residence in Ooltewah.

Virginia Rails can still be heard at Standifer Gap Marsh with 5 on February
24(David Patterson) and one on February 27. (Daniel Jacobson)

A Sedge Wren was seen by David Patterson at Standifer Gap Marsh on February
24.

Be on the lookout for Purple Martins and Rough-winged Swallows during the
next couple of weeks.

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on March 10

7:00 PM at Accension Luthern Church, 720 South Germantown Rd.

Get out in the Field and let me know what you see!