[TN-Bird] Chattanooga RBA #18

  • From: "Kevin A. Calhoon" <kac@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To:
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 11:01:20 -0400

You have reached Kevin Calhoon with the Chattanooga RBA, sponsored by the
Chattanooga Chapter of the Tennessee Ornithological Society.

This is Update Number #18 made on September 6, 2003.

You can call the RBA at 423 -821- 4381.

Two Black Terns, 4 Common Terns and six Pied-billed Grebes were seen feeding
along the milfoil and trash above Nickajack Dam(Marion co.) on September 5.
(John Henderson)

I have recieved no further reports of the two juvenile White Ibis seen at
the Brainerd Levee on September 1.

*** NOTE:  The construction that David Patterson reported at the levee on
September 1 between Boyd-Buchanan and Brainerd High is the mitigation site
from the new the Wal-Mart (to try to make up for the wetlands they are
destroying there) being built in East Brainerd.  They are clearing and
grading the area to INCREASE the size of the wetlands.  It has nothing to do
with the Brainerd Golf Course.

This has been a very good fall passerine migration so far, especially for
Cerulean warblers.  I have counted 16 this season on my Migration Monitoring
route, mostly in my yard on Cravens Terrace! (Kevin Calhoon)

Here are the highlights for this week's survey:
3 Cerulean Warbler
7 Tennessee Warbler
1 Blackburnian
4 Blue-winged Warbler
1 Yellow-breasted Chat
5 Northern Parula
8 Black-throated Green
7 American Redstart
1 Worm-eating
2 Hooded
14 Chestnut-sided
1 Baltimore Oriole
13 Red-eyed Vireo
2 Yellow-throated Vireo
4 White-eyed Vireo
1 Scarlet Tanager
2 Summer Tanager
1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo
9 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
4 Ruby-throated Hummingbird
4 Indigo Bunting
6 Eastern-wood Peewee
1 Wood Thrush
1 Red-headed Woodpecker

The next general meeting of the Chattanooga TOS will be on September 11
7:00 PM at the Accension Luthern Church, 720 South Germantown Rd.

Get out in the Field and let me know what you see!!