[TN-Bird] Cades Cove Woodcock

  • From: David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:49:58 -0400

On Thursday I joined Charlie Muise for a naturalist visit to Cades Cove in the
Great Smoky Mountains National Park of east Tennessee (Blount County). He was
leading a group with the Smoky Mountain Institute at Tremont, looking for
wetland beetles, while I was concentrating on dragonflies and butterflies, but
we of course kept our ears open for birds as well.
Didn't make it to the sewage lagoons so we missed the birds that Jean
Alexander reported on this list.

Best birds were 3 WILD TURKEY and 2 or 3 AMERICAN WOODCOCK. I found the
woodcock while walking in the wooded area around Abrams Creek, across from the
entrance road to the Abrams Falls trailhead parking area (area called the "Old
Field"). There's an unmown field to one side, Abrams Creek on the other, with
a sometimes wet, wooded area in bewteen. I've heard woodcock displaying in
this area at other times of the year.
Also heard a BROWN CREEPER in the Gum Swamp.

Best non-bird were the Dragonhunters (dragonflies)...very large clubtail
dragons that fly with their 'tails' curved down and forward, in a "J" shape.
Also saw 2 black bear near Sparks Lane.

David Trently,
Knoxville, TN
http://web.utk.edu/~dtrently/AvianPursuits.html