[TN-Bird] Cackling and Ross's Geese, Shelby Co., Sunday Feb. 9

  • From: kings4birds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:24:34 -0500 (EST)

 Sunday afternoon (Feb. 9) seven ROSS'S GEESE and one Cackling Goose were
hanging out with 250 or so Canada Geese in the Bison Paddock, across Farm Rd.
from Patriot Lake, in Shelby Farms off Walnut Grove Rd. I actually saw three
white geese in this area on January 25, but was unable to identify them for
certain since they were down in a swale and never raised their heads. On Jan.
31 they were out in the open, next to Canadas for size comparison, and all
three had short, stubby pink bills with no grin patch. Checking on them
yesterday I was surprised to see seven, all Ross's. We were able to pull off
the road so I could scan the flock, and one small individual proved to be a
Cackling Goose. I have been watching this area almost daily, hoping to find
Cacklers; I remember seeing them there before. We could see 8 Great Blue Herons
lined up along the ditch line and the small lake dam there; only Ring-billed
Gulls were in the group loafing in the paddock.

Gail King

5595 Ashley Sq. N.
Memphis, TN 38120

"What is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the heavens?" Jeff Wilson