[TN-Bird] Brown-headed nuthatch adults & babies- Cleveland, TN

  • From: robert loveday <rhloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 05:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

After coming back from Standifer Gap Marsh & seeing 5 Virginia
Rails w/ 2 downy chicks, we thought our birding fourtunes were
over for the day. While sitting on our porch at Cleveland, TN we
saw 2 brown-headed nuthatch adults get sunflower seeds from our
feeder & feed their babies in a nearby pine tree. The b-h
nuthatch adults also frantically stored seeds in pine cones like
we have so often seen their white breasted brethren do. At one
point we had 3 brown-headed nuthatches on the feeder! After the
feeding frenzy was over, we walked to the brown-headed nuthatch
nest we reported seeing in the neighborhood Friday evening, & it
was empty. Looks like we lucked up & saw the nest the very last
day it was occupied (but we will still keep an eye on it for
further broods). Sunday morning, the brown-headed nuthatches are
fighting the rain here & still getting sunflower seeds froom our
feeder.

Is it unusual for a brown-headed nuthatches to get seeds from a
feeder? We had never heard of this.

Robert & Leigh Loveday
Cleveland, TN