[TN-Bird] Active Osprey nest at TVA Kingston Steam Plant

  • From: Arthur_McDade@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 12:23:23 -0400

I recently observed an active Osprey nest at Kingston TVA Steam Plant. I
reported it to two TVA biologists, who approved its being posted on this
net, since it is in a very public area.

This Osprey stick nest is located on a metal pipe at the concrete dyke at
the edge of the open water of Watts Bar Lake near Outfall 001 (you walk in
from the soccer and baseball fields and continue on the gravel and ash road
past the settling ponds on the left to where you can see the concrete dyke
at the edge of the open water. The large stick nest is to the east of the
six metal water pipes of Outfall 001--a water discharge point--and is very
visible).

When I observed the nest mid last week, I saw an adult bird sitting. While
I had this adult in my binocs view, a slimmer male Osprey flew into my
field of view with half a fish in its talons. He landed on the stick nest,
raised his wings in a flourish, and the larger female got up and also
raised her wings. She moved over and took the fish, and flew off to the
treeline to dine. The male then sat down on the nest.

This active osprey nest is in a very public area, and is relatively low to
the ground. I have seen fishermen use the same area of the concrete dyke
last year, so it is in a very accessible and public area.

Arthur McDade
Wartburg, Morgan County, TN