[TN-Bird] Britton Ford area 12/4/2013 (No Eurasian Wigeon)

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 21:18:35 -0800 (PST)

12/4/2013
Britton Ford, Henry Co

I spent a couple of hours this morning at Britton Ford. Rick Shipkowski had the
Tundra Swans just before I arrived, and Scott Somershoe and Stephen Zipperer
had them later in the day, so they are just moving around the area. The Wigeons
had totally moved out of the area the Eurasian was initially found. However,
dabblers were feeding in mass on the hillsides, with a couple of thousand
Wigeon in the area easily. It is impossible to see all the birds, the Eurasian
could easily still be around. I did have one of the yellow-faced variant of
American Wigeons, commonly called a Storm Wigeon, utterly gorgeous bird. I've
only seen this variant twice before, both times at Britton Ford. I've never
been able to photograph one, but here is an image from the web of an almost
identical bird (credit to photographer listed, not mine)
http://birds.joy.net/photo/storm-wigeon-american-wigeon-variant?commentId=6533772%3AComment%3A14517&xg_source=activity

Otherwise, a rare December Pectoral Sandpiper was working the flats with the
Killdeer and handful of Least Sandpipers. I also had a Palm Warbler, and some
flyover Lapland Longspurs and Rusty Blackbirds. No other unusual ducks, though
at least 3 Mallard x American Black Ducks were in the mass of dabblers in the
fields. 175 Greater White-fronted Geese, and numerous Canada (though no
Cackling) rounded out the waterfowl.

A few images from the day start here if interested:
http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/153650954

Good Birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN