[TN-Bird] Britton Ford area 11/29/03

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:16:27 -0600

Britton Ford to Paris Landing area
Henry Co.
11/29/03

Don Manning and myself spent part of the day birding the above areas. We
started at Britton Ford, where for most of the day there was a
formidable shimmer coming off of the water, making for very tough
viewing. We had hoped for the Red-necked Grebe, which Jeff had within
the last few days, but never did locate it or the feeding flock of
Horned Grebes it tends to associate with. Lots of ducks in the area now,
but couldn't pull anything out of the ordinary from the mix.

After a quick and unproductive run to Paris Landing, we came back to
Britton Ford to find Nancy Moore scoping out the birds (with a very nice
new "friend", in the form of a new Zeiss 85 Diascope!). We again looked
through all the birds, picking out the expected species, but with no
better luck with the Red-necked Grebe.

From here to took Nancy around to some of the local spots, most of which
were new to her. We stopped briefly at the mouth of Eagle Creek, which
until the last week was flats, but is now flooded again. Here were lots
of Gulls and Horned Grebes, and 8 Forster's Terns hanging out on crappie
mats. Big Eagle Campground was next, with good numbers of loons present.
One distant bird had the look of a Pacific, but too much distance and
shimmer to be sure. Port Rd. was much more productive for fishing boats
than anything else, as the nice new boat launch in the bay there was
very busy. A few loons were in the area, but nowhere near the usual
congregation. Trailer Rd ended the day, in very choppy water with a
stiff breeze, which didn't bode well for the Red-throated Loon Nancy was
needing. We had nice numbers of loons in the area, with over 60 in one
string, but their heads were all that was visible, and all were Common.
It would have been nice to have been able to stay, and find a little
elevation to watch the late afternoon Loon parade from, as there were
many loons scattered about the area.

Another nice surprise early in the day, were my 1st Purple Finches of
the year, feeding with goldfinches. Purples at the feeder are nice, but
I always get a nice kick when I run across them out in the woods.

Good birding!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.