[TN-Bird] Bristol Birders Burke's Garden Golden Eagle field trip Feb 7 2015

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 19:37:20 -0500

Hi TN Birders:

Members of the Bristol Bird Club (TN/VA)  are looking forward to this
weekend's

late-winter field trip to Burke's Garden in Tazewell County, VA.

It is Saturday,  February 7.  The event is open free to anyone who wants to
participate.

Rick Knight will lead the field party along the valley roads.  He has done
this for years.

Meet at the Hardee's in Tazewell, VA, in order to leave for the garden at
9:00 am.

Come a little early and grab a quick breakfast, then we all head over to
Burke's Garden.

One of our good advanced scouts tells us there are Rough-legged Hawks,
Golden Eagles and Red-headed Woodpckers seen in the valley at this time.
The Bald Eagle pair is back at the famous nest which is easy to view.
Waterfowl have mostly moved out.  Also possible are ravens, snipe,
Loggerhead Shrike, Horned Lark, Bald Eagle, other raptors and  Fox Squirrel.

Lunch will be at the Burke's Garden General Store located in the valley.
The

store is usually closed on Saturdays during the winter months but the Amish
family which owns it will open to feed our field party.  The owner called
today to assure us she had plans ready.  She does not have enough inventory
to have her more extensive menu.

She plans to have a couple of pots of soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.
But you can bring your own bag lunch and she will have cold drinks
available.  In addition, she will bring along extra loaves of the
traditional  Amish bread and some special breakfast pastry she normally has
available.  Snacks can be bought from the store shelves.  Lunch will be
served at 12 noon.  No prior arrangements are required.

The general store has two portable toilets available outside their building
and they are open all day.  Facilities are also available at Hardee's before
leaving and probably the very good outdoor toilets at Central Lutheran
Church in Burke's Garden.

We will begin our auto birding tour at the Gose Mill Pond bridge just as you
enter the garden proper.

Cobra Family Radio FSR.jpgSome communications while driving will be with FRS
(family radio service)

walkie talkies where we will talk on Channel 5.  We do not use subchannels

while birding.   These walkie talkies are available at Walmart  stores if
you

wish to buy your own.

The Hardee's is easy to find - - - follow signs from US 19 highway.

Several of us will leave from Mountain Sports parking lot

in Bristol Virginia at 7 a.m.    Mountain Sports is located on the right

just before you get to I-381 as you come to the end of Commonwealth Ave.
while leaving the downtown.

If you have questions,  call my cell at 423-360-2532,

Wallace Coffey

Bristol, TN

JPEG image