[TN-Bird] Brainerd Levee, Chattanooga Field Trip

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 23:10:06 EDT

Brainerd Levee
Hamilton co., Chattanooga
The Chattanooga chapter field trip to the levee was an exciting one today.
Attendees were: Carol Figerado, Janice Chadwell, Ken Dubke, Alberta Oliver, Ray
Zimmerman, Susan Holliday, Jack Orr, Kyle & April Wagner, Beth McBee and
Jimmy Wilkerson.

The skill level of birders ranged from a beginner with 39 birds on her life
list to several with over 600+ species recorded.  I LOVE BIRDERS!  I've never
met one who wasn't friendly and willing to share their binoculars and scopes.

We saw approximately 40 species.  The focus was on shore birds but we also
took time to examine, point out field marks and identify common species such as
Nothern Cardinal and Blue Jay's.  Shore birds seen were: Least Sandpiper (3),
Pectorial Sandpiper (1), Solitary Sandpiper (3), Spotted Sandpiper (1), and
Lesser Yellowlegs(1). We had numerous Green Heron and 4 Great Egret.  A not so
Wild Turkey of the barnyard variety made a brief appearance at the horse farm.

We also saw Halloween Pennant Dragon flies (3) and several Monarch
Butterflies.

On the way home I stopped by the marshy area at Hwy. 153 and Bonnie Oaks Dr.
The water level was on the high side, but I was able to pull out a single
Yellow-crowned Night Heron standing on a tree limb near the road.

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Tn.