[TN-Bird] Black-and-White Warbler, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Waterthrushes, Radnor Lake, Davidson Co

  • From: Jan Shaw <jankshaw1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-BIRD <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 12:29:01 -0500

4-1-2014
Radnor Lake
Davidson Co.

This morning I took my mom to Radnor Lake and we just walked from the east
parking lot down to the lake and back, spending some time on the boardwalk.
Despite the short distance, we saw some really nice birds. Highlights were:
wood ducks very close along the boardwalk
blue-winged teal 7
barred owl
hairy woodpeckers 2 mating
brown creeper
blue-gray gnatcatcher FOS
black-and-white warbler FOS
yellow-rumped warbler singing
Louisiana waterthrush 2
there was a distinct lack of martins or swallows after seeing them there on
Sunday

Also, a pair of chickadees and a pair of bluebirds are competing over a
nesting cavity in a small, dead tree on the east side of the boardwalk.
Last week it was the chickadees taking material out of the hole, but Sunday
and today the bluebirds had joined them. Once when the chickadee was inside
the hole, the female bluebird went in also. Five seconds later the
chickadee flew out. They sometimes perch on the same branch just a few feet
from the hole.

Jan Shaw
Nashville, TN