[TN-Bird] Black Scoter at Percy Priest, pos. Golden Eagle

  • From: richard connors <didymops07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 19:55:19 -0600

Dec. 11, 2013 J. Percy Priest Lake, Nashville Davidson Co. TN

I checked a few sites on Percy Priest this morning, highlights:
Seven Points
BLACK SCOTER  1 female (photos attached)
A distant, perched, eagle had field marks which led me to think GOLDEN
EAGLE: head light golden-tan color, not dark as for imm. bald eagle,
bill uniform light-medium color no dark tip as for imm. bald eagle;
bill appeared smaller than bald eagle, and larger than red-tailed
hawk, and body more bulky than red-tailed hawk, with short-tailed
look. Too distant for decent photo with the equipment I had with me. I
called Jan Shaw to come out and help with the ID, but the eagle was
gone by the time we got back to the site. She did get to see the
scoter.

Below the dam  ~65 Bonapartes Gulls feeding on whatever was in the
water being discharged, mostly adults with some imm./ 1st year birds
mixed in (~10-20%). Relatively few Ring-billed Gulls (<50), seen on
the day vs aprox 200 Bonaparte's. No Little Gull seen.

Hamilton Creek the bay out from the BMX track
Merlin - 1 female
Com. Loons - 12, most seen in one spot today.

Richard Connors
Nashville