[TN-Bird] Birding this week/Campbell/Anderson County, TN

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:36:48 -0500

CAMPBELL AND ANDERSON COUNTIES / TN   North of Knoxville

I managed to get in some "low impact" birding (from the jeep and short
walks) this week.

Monday , March 3, 2003   DOAKS CREEK TVA  area at Well Springs in the
NE end of Campbell County .
The lake levels are rising bringing enough water into the small pond/cove
area in to host  a few nice ducks with very nice close up views- NORTHERN
PINTAIL  4 males a a female along with AMERICAN WIGEON   2    GREEN
-WINGED TEAL 3
WOOD DUCKS 3 and a large group of Canada Geese and Mallards which are not
usually here at all.  I drove around the immediate area quite awhile but
was unable to find the Shrike I found a few weeks ago.

COVE LAKE STATE PARK
   Not much activity this week so far, other than a nice group of
Ring-Billed Gulls  40-50  as well as the first COMMON GRACKLE for Spring.
No Swallows here yet.   A few Gadwall remain along with Wood Ducks.  2
BLUE MORPH SNOW GEESE  remain. Very quiet, but this changes daily.

Wednesday  3-5-03   EAGLE BEND FISH HATCHERY  Clinton, TN    Anderson
County
In intermittent  morning rain I observed several nice birds around the
fish ponds.
There was a LEAST SANDPIPER,  one lonely AMERICAN PIPIT and
4 WILSON'S SNIPE.
Many TREE SWALLOWS now, hard to count but at least 27.
Ducks were few, but nice close up views of LESSER SCAUP and
RING-NECKED DUCK.  A TREE SWALLOW was already staking out a nesting box.
I took some time to   photograph the GREAT BLUE HERONS
nesting, and observed some interesting courting behavior. Even though the
nests appear finished,  more building material (sticks) were being
brought in by the males and offered to the females. Neat to watch. There
are a couple new nests from last year further away from the main group.

Jacksboro/ Home  Feeder watch
This week I have seen several CHIPPING SPARROWS coming to the feeder as
well as Field Sparrows which have been present all winter and are
starting to sing. A Pine Warbler was on the suet, despite the Pines in
the area all being dead. First one all winter.

Good Spring birding to all,

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN
N. of Knoxville