[TN-Bird] Re: Bird ID by song

  • From: Ed Schneider <ed.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sparverius@xxxxxxxxxxx>, tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 19:30:18 -0500

I think Ms. Threadgill's description matches that of the American Robin's
"dawn" song,especially when the bird gets that loping, repetitious gate
going... the habitat in theNeely's Bend area is not likely to have Woodthrush,
and I also agree that, thoughflute-like, it's song is much more complex than
the description. It wasn't only thetwo note "doe-a-deer" (I believe the "deer"
is a relative third above the "doe") partof the description that made me think
Robin, but the fact that a "bass flute" was mentioned...
In actuality of course, when heard closely the dawn song has much more to it
than twonotes, and actually is rhythmically more of slow "horse trot", but
heard superficially froma distance sounds more like two notes of equal length.
That's my two cents! I wish I could link to a recording to better explain what
I'm babbling about.
Good birding!
Ed SchneiderNashville