[TN-Bird] Bird Hike (Drive) at the "The Pits", Earth Complex Memphis Shelby County Sunday May 5th

  • From: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 20:06:23 -0500

TOS Memphis Chapter has a scheduled bird hike at the "The Pits", Earth Complex,
Memphis, Shelby County, this  Sunday May 5th.
Join Jay Walko down in the bottoms in search of this years migrating
shorebirds, and mid south nesters. Target birds will be this weeks surprise
migrant, a Breeding Plumage White-faced Ibis (seen today by Justin Hensley),
Black-bellied Whistling Ducks That have begun pairing up, the ever well dressed
Black-necked Stilts and the many species of shorebirds that stop in on their
northward flight.
We'll meet on top of the TVA levee at 7:30 am and caravan down the hill to the
complex. Our goal is to hit as many of the levees as possible at the more
popular retention ponds, conditions permitting. Since all this rain moved in
today some of the levees may be sloppy so bring your boots in case we have to
hike some.
Bino's, scopes, camera's, insect repellant, and rain gear/boots (just in case).

White-faced Ibis this past week
http://www.pbase.com/jwalko/image/149870084

John "Jay" Walko   (c) 901-490-5349
Collierville, TN