[TN-Bird] Big Sandy Loons

  • From: Gary Casey <gcasey2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:55:23 -0500

Tn. NWR
Big Sandy Unit
Henry Cnty

Melissa Easly, Jerry Ingles, Jeff Wilson and I had the unique
privilege of viewing four loon species today. And if that was't
enough, the only thing we had to move was the swivels on our
scopes.

We set up just to the west of Rocky Point and just I was getting
ready for my first look, Jeff announced "Red=throated". In what
seemed like less than a minute of viewing it Jeff said "Pacific,
off to the left". For awhile both could be viewed in the same
field. A passing boat scattered the birds and a minute or so
later an obviously larger loon surfaced. Due to hazy light and
distance there was some uncertainty what we were looking at. The
light improved and as field marks began to be ticked off, we
were all thrilled to know we had an immature Yellow-billed Loon
in our scopes! We studied this bird for more than an hour under
conditions of almost no wind, fairly smooth water and great
light. It stayed above water the whole time. You would have had
to slapped us to get grins off our faces. Jeff must have taken
a hundred pictures, the best of which I'm sure will be available
for those interested.

Once again, Big Sandy has worked it's magic!

Gary Casey
Kingston Springs, Tn.

Talk and walk softly, carry a big
scope.